If you are a victim of identity theft or believe you are; I am so sorry that this has happened to you. I was a victim in 2007, so I know the feeling. Here are resources to help you get everything back on track. 

Your checklist should be to: 

  1. Contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) to report the incident. 
  2. Verify you are indeed a victim of identity theft by taking a look at your credit report. Get your credit reports, and If you see any accounts that DO NOT belong to you (Circle Them, Highlight, Etc.). That is a red flag and confirms your identity has been stolen.
  3. File a police report and get your case number for the incident. Please do NOT file a police report for identity theft if you have not actually been a victim. Once you file your police report, you will receive a copy of it with your case number, and a summary of everything. 
  4. Either fax, or mail your police report to the credit bureaus and state you are a victim of identity theft and state the accounts you see on your credit report that were affected (Your circled or highlighted ones). By law, FCRA, those accounts have to be removed within four days. 
  5. Now that you have done that, your next step would be to contact all of the creditors with accounts that are NOT yours on your report (circled, highlighted, etc.) and inform them of the same and give them a COPY of your police report and have them cancel those accounts. If your financial information was also compromised, then you need to contact your banks, etc. and speak with their fraud department about your account. They may also need a COPY of your police report. 

I keep capitalizing COPY because you want to make sure you keep the original for your records and in case someone claims they never received it and need it down the line. Change your pin numbers if you had credit cards and they were stolen. Even when you get your new card, still change your pin number from the old one just as an added measure of security.

If checks were stolen, you may contact the major check verification companies or if bank accounts were set up in your name. If you know the thief wrote back checks to a merchant/store and you know the verification company they use, call them and report it. 

  1. ChexSystems: (800) 428-9623 (closed checking accounts) 
  2. TeleCheck: (800) 710-9898
  3. CrossCheck: (800) 552-1900
  4. There are 4 others located here under "What Can I Do If My Check Is Declined?"